Saturday 10 August 2013

Qagħaq tal-Ġunġlien (Maltese Biscuit Rings with Sesame Seeds)


Served with a sweet cup of tea creamed with evaporated milk, these Maltese biscuits have been very famous amongst the Maltese people. They can be found in any bakery and supermarket all over the island. So, I felt like a nice cup of tea but had no biscuits and considering today was quite cooler than usual, I decided to make these delicious beauties. Once you get the preparation done, they only take minutes to prepare and bake, but unfortunately seconds to devour! Give them a go and share them with your friends (or not). Oh well, give them our recipe at least. For 8 large rings (you can always make more by making them smaller) you will need...

  • 250g plain flour
  • 100g sugar
  • 7g baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • Pinch of salt
  • Pinch ground aniseed
  • Pinch ground cloves
  • 85g butter, at room temperature, cut into cubes
  • 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • Grated lemon rind
  • Grated orange rind
  • Sesame seeds
Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  2. In a mixing bowl mix flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and spices, add the butter and rub into the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
  3. In a separate bowl crack the egg, add the oil, water and lemon and orange rinds and mix them well.
  4. Add to the flour/butter mixture and mix by hand until you get a soft dough. Shape into a ball.
  5. Put the sesame seeds in a plate.
  6. Dust your hands with flour and get some dough (about the size of a golf ball) and roll into a long fingerlike shape, carefully place the dough into the sesame seeds and turn slowly to coat. Shape into a ring and transfer to a buttered and floured baking tray.
  7. Bake for about 20 minutes. Let cool down and serve.
Enjoy!!
R&A

14 comments:

  1. Just made these and they taste delicious. Need to practice shaping them but otherwise they turned out well. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome :) My first ring came out a flop, so am quite sure that you will get it right with practice.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were absolutely delicious! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!! My whole family loved them. I did add 1/2 teaspoon aniseed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Changed recipe to Gluten Free. Used GF flour and 1/2 tbsp Xanthan Gum. Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your recipe have made a few times Thanks 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made them and they taste great. Shame I couldn't upload a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make these all the time, my mum used to make them and the smell of the kitchen makes me think of my mum. The trick to shaping them is to make sur you hands are dusted in flour otherwise the dough sticks too your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just tried them. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sister made these and they smelt and tasted delicious, she shared yr recipe with me so I definitely will make them, reminds me of the ones mum use to make

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made the dough for these beautiful cookies. My mum used to make these on a weekly basis when I was young. I stuck the dough in the fridge for about an hour and this helps with shaping. I also blended the flour and the citrus rinds in a high powered processor which gives the cookies a nicer citrus hit and distributes the flavour.

    ReplyDelete